Wed. 7/09/08

There were 16 riders to start the Wednesday night ride. Marty had another douzy of a route pre-mapped and we only ended up altering it a little bit. We headed north on the trail. Before Douglas, we notice this cloud of dust up ahead on one of the gravel roads. The group had to slow down in case it was a car or a Mack truck, but instead it turned out to be Jeff S. giving his brand new frame a taste of the CX life. We (all 17 of us) rolled through Douglas and headed for cty 3. Here we met up with Big Jim. So the gang was all together and the fun could begin. We headed east to Oronoco, past Tillies (Todd's local watering hole). And then across hwy 52, and then north on cty 11. Here the wind and the hills started to seperate the group a bit. But we all stopped and got water in Mazeppa. We headed east out of Mazeppa and then east/southeast on cty 7. With the tailwind the pace picked up to the 25 mph range and everyone was taking turns at the front. Then we hit Chef-tel hill. I hung out behind Jeff S. (no, not because of the scenary), cause he was setting a nice tempo up the first part of the climb. Several guys had launched an early surge on the hill, but I knew there was plenty of climbing to come. Jeff and I moved up nicely through the group when we caught Big Jim. He was pinned in behind a couple of guys who were fading. Next we came up to Marty, I figured now was the time for my patented KOM move. I mentioned to Marty the Big Jim wanted to ask him something and then I told Jeff that his new frame was dirty. Both tactics gave me the seconds I needed, I was off for the top. By the time Big Jim got unstuck, and Jeff and Marty had realized my deception, it was too late. I was able to barely hold them off for the grand prize. From there the rest of the ride was a blur. I was still replaying the spectacular climb over and over in my head. Anyway, we waited for everyone at the hwy 63 corner, then we headed south for town. Kristi was going to make a move for the county sign, but was too much a lady and let those meanies at the front have it (she could have taken it easily). Then it was Todd's turn to make everyone suffer a bit, he got out front and rode like a man posessed. I don't know who got the town sign (I was too far back), but I know Marty was up there. I turned east on East Circle Drive and headed for home, while the rest of the group headed west for the shop. Great ride everyone (Marty, Steve, Jeff S., Big Jim, Todd, Al, Paul, Pat, Kristi, Tim, Jim, New Jim, Jeff G., Hewey, Dewey, Lewey, and Chris).

OK, I forgot a few names (did I mention that I replayed the dramatic climb over and over in my head on the ride home)...

No comments:

"Tonight's forecast, Dark.
Continued dark throughout most of the evening,
with some widely-scattered light towards morning."


Al Sleet (the hippie-dippie weatherman)

R.I.P. George Carlin


What's it like outside?

Where You At???

Where You At???

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Rochester, MN, United States

Visits

Google Groups
Subscribe to the new Silver Cycling Club group email
Email:
Visit Silver Cycling
Subscribe to the Velo Rochester Cycling Club group email
Email:
Visit VeloRochester