Wed. 8/27/08

We started with 11 from Erik's. The rain had passed by earlier in the day. The roads were dry, but sections of the trail were still slick. This means I'll be cleaning my bike later on. And Steve brought out the new ride, just in time to break it in right.

We met Big Jeff on the trail right near Douglas. After some debate, we continued north on the trail until we got to cty 3, then we headed east for Oronoco. Past Todd's local watering hole and then over nwy 52.

Here we turned north and headed for Mazeppa. Marty and Trevor slugged it out for the cty sign (well, not really). What a fun stretch of road with everyone taking turns at the front and some nice rollers to heat up everyone's legs. Just before Mazeppa, we turned west for PI, but not before I snuck down the road an extra few feet to grab the coveted cty sign. I can almost taste the green jersey, now.

As we made our way to PI, we had not only the rollers to contend with, but now we were facing the south wind on the several stretches. Good thing we had 11 riders, as everyone took their pulls and then quickly headed back to the shelter of the pack. I just really wanted to stay in the back all the time, but Big Jeff and Big Jim said "NO". Dang, those guys are mean. We rolled into PI, without too much fuss over the first town sign. But everyone got whipped up for the second town sign after we crossed back over 52.

From PI, we headed south on cty 3. Big Jim didn't want to go home just yet, so he headed off on cty 5 for a few more miles. The rest of us continued (into the wind) for the Douglas trail. And from there we rolled back to Rochester. Along the way, people started spliting off for home as we were fast running out of daylight.

AS the remenants of the group turned for Erik's, I continued on the trail and then took Vally High back into town. From there I turned on 7th and headed east. About this time I got cutoff by a car turned left in front of me, so I decided it must be time to turn the lights on. I turned on the flashing taillight and I had packed a small LED flashlight, which fit nicely in my right hand while I was still able to hold onto the brakehood.

I motored home without any other incedents. Almost 65 miles and it was plenty dark when I got home (to the glares of the wife, who insisted I was nuts).

Great ride everyone (Marty, Steve, Kristi, Big Jim, Big Jeff, Eric, Craig, Jeff G., Jim, Trevor, and Mark).

Sounds like that may be all for the Wednesday Erik's rides for this season. Maybe it's time for some CX??? Mud anyone???

No comments:

"Tonight's forecast, Dark.
Continued dark throughout most of the evening,
with some widely-scattered light towards morning."


Al Sleet (the hippie-dippie weatherman)

R.I.P. George Carlin


What's it like outside?

Where You At???

Where You At???

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Rochester, MN, United States

Visits

Google Groups
Subscribe to the new Silver Cycling Club group email
Email:
Visit Silver Cycling
Subscribe to the Velo Rochester Cycling Club group email
Email:
Visit VeloRochester